Friday, December 12, 2008

Kitchen Conversions

1 pound of butter = 2 cups
1 cup = 16 tablespoons
1 pound = 16 ounces
Therefore,
1 pound of butter = 32 tablespoons

Remember how I bought 4 pounds of butter before Thanksgiving? That's how it comes, from Sam's club. 4 pounds at a time. And, they're not divided into individual sticks, but rather 4 individually wrapped bricks of butter. And for about half the cost of Land O Lakes at Schnucks (and the Sam's quality is comparable or better...which is much better than the Schnucks generic brand, that I won't buy any more). I paid about $8.50 for all that.

Well, I didn't really need 4 pounds for Thanksgiving Dinner. More like 5 sticks (just over 1 pound). But, it was cheaper than the grocery store, and butter can last a while, and we're getting into Christmas Cookie Baking season.

The trouble is, without the individual sticks with their nifty markings that make it easy to measure (cut), I have to actually convert tablespoons and cups in my head into ounces. I do have a kitchen scale, so measuring by weight is no big deal.

Except when I convince myself that 1 pound = 16 ounces = 16 tablespoons, and I double the amount of butter in a recipe. No wonder my blueberry scones are so yummy. And so very very very soft and crumbly.

Oops.

No comments: