Friday, January 11, 2008

Reading List update

My first reading list follow-up.

The book I couldn't remember was Captive of my Desires by Johanna Lindsay. It was enjoyable, which sort of surprised me. I read a lot of her books back around high school, and while some were good, I think she was spitting some out too fast and they got a little formulaic, and a lot predictable. This one wasn't bad--it revisited some of the characters from some of her previous books, a set that I actually remembered when I started reading this one. Besides, it was free :) My mom had a large box full of books that she was done with and I grabbed a handful to bring home after Christmas. I would have taken all of them, but we were stuffed to the ceiling already with luggage and Christmas gifts.

I also finished Good in Bed. It was funny, like Jennifer Weiner's other books. Her characters usually fall into some predictable patterns (I'm guessing an autobiographical influence here), and this one wasn't much different. But, it was actually a chick-lit-styled murder mystery, and was definitely a fun read.

I'm now on The Kite Runner. I know there's a movie of it coming out, but my chances of seeing that are about nill until it hits cable. Alas. My hubby's not much into movies (he will agree to some of hte bigger ones, typically with enough action or sci fi/fantasy, or at least enough badgering from me), and I doubt it's appropriate for Charlotte. I do hear there's a new Veggie Tales movie opening today, and I have a sneaking suspicion that my husband might actually agree to accompany me and the kids that one.

My list of books to be read (in order of their piles on my bookshelf...roughly based on book dimensions):

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susana Clarke
Eldest (sequel to Eragon and who's author I don't remember and can't see from here)
Wizards' Daughter by Catherine Coulter (it's a romance, not a sci fi, in case you were curious)
Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts
A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett,
After the Fire by Belva Plain
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (see, Scott, I haven't forgotton!)
El Reino del Dragon De Oro and El Bosque de Los Pigmeos by Isabel Allende (must finish Ciudad de las Bestias first...see my previous post)
The Children of Hurin JRR Tolkein. I'm 1/3 of the way through. It will end up on the top of the stack again at some point and I'll just finish it.
The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
4 more Nora Roberts paperbacks that I can't read from here (from Mom's stash)
Everlating by Kathleen Woodiwiss
Another random romance paperback whose spine I can't read, but I know I bought for a quarter at the library used book table recently.

That ought to last me at least a couple of days, right? :) Actually, the taller, thinner paperbacks will probably get read the fastest (not the fat historical romances, but the fancier looking ones) because they fit in my pump bag and I will read them in the mother's room at work. That's about the only part of having to pump breastmilk that I will miss after Trystan can have regular milk at daycare--the reading breaks!

4/25/08: Ok, so this is a massivley belated update, which no one will ever read. But I have a correction: It was Goodnight Nobody, not Good in Bed. Same author, different book. Good in Bed was definitely not a murder mystery (though I enjoyed it when I read it several years ago)! Back to my regularly scheduled rambling

No comments: