Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Fat

I finished both The Kite Runner and Wizard's Daughter about two weeks ago. I was disappointed in Wizard's Daughter. It was a romance but with a heavy fantasy element too--but I found both aspects unsatisfying. Not enough tension in the romance, and the magical world they end up in at the end of the novel just read too much like the characters stepped into a cartoon or something.

The Kite Runner was good, but I do think it took things one step too far. Several books on writing suggest that you think of the worst thing that could possibly happen to the characters at every step, but Hosseini really really took it to heart. It was worth having read.

I'm currently in the middle of Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which I'm really really enjoying. Unlike Coulter's fantasy world, this one is entirely believable and full of rich detail. It's my "pump" book as it fits in the skinny pocket on my pump bag. On my nightstand at home I'm working on A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett (yes, that Jimmy Buffett). I'm not making as good progress on this one, but that's because I'm not relating as easily to the narrator. He's a cowboy from Wyoming who's on the run from the law and ends up in Punta Margarita in Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, restoring an old lighthouse. Interesting, but hard for me to put myself in his shoes for most of the story--I think it's the first person narration. For me, that works better with a woman's voice, or at least a youth's (like in the Hobb book).

Also, today is Super Fat Tuesday. I am exercising my right to vote by declining the option of playing eenie-meenie-minie-mo at the ballot box. A coworker suggested voting for the worst candidate of the oppoisite party, but I think I'd feel awful if I inadvertently helped elect someone I disliked. Besides, I'm not thrilled with any candidate from either party. And, since Charlotte's ballet class is tonight, we wont' be doing any Mardi Gras celebrations either. The bright side: I need to go grocery shopping, but tomorrow is a day of fasting anyway. As long as we have some mac & cheese or pb&j to feed the kids, we ought to be in good shape until Thursday.

No comments: