Thursday, September 28, 2006

Soda Pop

What do you call those fizzy, sugary beverages, generally sold in cans, plastic bottles, or from a fast food restaurant with brand names such as Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, etc?

Growing up I called them "pop". As in, "I'd like a can of pop". Or, "What kind of pop do you have?" My parents are from nebraska, and I grew up in central Indiana. I didn't generally get funny looks when I said these words. Though, truth be told, I rarely saw the word "pop" on a menu--that section was generally called "drinks" or "soft drinks".

When I started college in St. Louis, I started getting some funny looks when I'd talk about pop. Waiters would think I was speaking a foreign language until I'd clue them in with a brand name ("Do you have Coke or Pepsi?"). And everyone here called the fizzy stuff something rather silly "soda". Soda to me meant either club soda, baking soda, or it was one of those old-fashioned things that our parents remember--getting a "soda pop" at the local "soda fountain". Well, times change, and peer pressure really gets to you, and now I call the stuff "soda" also. And, I get snickered at by my one remaining Hoosier sister for doing so (no, I don't mean "hoosier" in the Missouri sense, but in the "resident of Indiana" sense....that's a whole 'nother post).

I didn't think Charlotte had had much experience with the stuff, since we limit her menu options to milk, water, and the occiasional juice. She's sampled tea and coffee, both of which she liked (to our dismay..we thought she'd stop begging if we gave her a sip). I have been relatively caffeine free since she was breastfed (and colicky and reflux-y), and my husband has been watching his diet more in the last several months since he's been marathon training. So we just aren't drinking much soda at home, and when we do, we generally call it "juice" to Charlotte (so she doesn't realize we're having something she's not).

We had to do some shopping on Sunday afternoon, and as we were leaving Walmart (our 2nd stop of the day), my husband stopped at their row of vending machines to buy a drink. He got a bottle of Code Red Mountain Dew, which Charlotte immediately pointed to and said "pop". Huh? Did she really just call it pop? Where on earth did she hear that? I thought perhaps she was trying to say something else (her pronunciation's still at that 2-year old level, you know). But then our next stop was to another Walmart (yes, 2 in one day..I don't recommend it). On the way out, she pointed to the soda machines and clearly said "pop" again. This time there was no mistaking the word or her meaning.

I'm guessing that one or more of her daycare teachers must call it pop. In the infant room, especially, I've seen the ladies have their bottles of soda/pop stashed on high shelves while the kids play (which doesn't bother me as long as they don't share with the kiddos, and I doubt they would want to do that...). Oh well, at least Charlotte's aunt won't laugh at *her*....

No comments: