Saturday, June 13, 2009

Donations

Yesterday I received a sample pack of infant formula in the mail. What I want to know is: Why? Why am I on any sort of mailing list that would trigger Enfamil to think that I need formula?

1) There are no babies in my house. My youngest is 27 months old, and happily drinks cow's milk. Preferably with chocolate.
2) I am certainly not pregnant with another. Though perhaps some computer model predicted that I would be by now? I guess I was when Charlotte was this age.
3) I never used formula for either of my children. I breastfed. I think Charlotte got about 2 ounces of formula once, in the NICU where she spent about 24 hours for jaundice. I believe the nurse who gave it to her also got a scolding from the lactation consultant for that incident.

Now, there are plenty of people who do use formula, for a large variety of reasons, and that's what works for them. This post isn't a dig at parents who use formula. I am just not currently aware of anyone in my immediate circle of acquantance who is formula feeding an infant.

So, back to sample pack that arrived at my house. It was kind of Enfamil to provide food to the local foodbank. But really, there are more efficient ways of donating than to mail it to me, and have me hand-carry it into work to one of the donation bins.

No comments: