Friday, June 12, 2009

Questions

Charlotte has become fond of asking questions. Asking questions is, as Elmo has reminded us in multiple episodes, a good way to find things out.
Mommy, when are we going to see a movie?
Mommy, when are we going to go to the Magic House?
Mommy, when are we going to go to the zoo?
Mommy, when are we goint to Grandma Cindi's house?

I find out quite a lot by listening to the questions Charlotte asks. Sometimes they give nice insights as to things she wants. If she asks about a place like the Magic House or the zoo, I usually add it to my mental list of activities for upcoming weekends.
Mommy, when are we going to the beach?

And sometimes, I just commiserate with her. As in, "I don’t know honey. I’d like to go to the beach, also."
Mommy, do you know how to get to Grandma Cindi's house?

Sometimes, the questions would be insulting if I thought she understood what she was asking. Grandma Cindi, btw, is my mom. And yes, I know the way to her house. I don't know if Charlotte was testing me, or if she just isn't sure because we only visit every couple of months (Mom lives about 4.5 hours away).
Mommy, when are we going to get a pet rabbit?

She has asked about pets and pet dogs somewhat frequently lately. But rabbit? I usually try to give her a vague answer that doesn't really promise or deny many of her requests. I flat out denied the rabbit. Maybe we'll get a pet at some point. But it won't be a rabbit.
Mommy, have you ever seen a unicorn?

Sometimes, her questions just make me laugh. When she asked about a unicorn last night, I had to explain that I've never seen one in person. Just in books.
This is a fun age, though there are times that I wish the questions would take a break. But I know that in ten years, I'll be peppering her with questions that she won't be as thrilled about answering.

No comments: