Friday, April 13, 2007

Week in review

Friday, April 13

I'm not sure whether I have more energy or less than I did a week ago. Trystan has been home since Sunday, and I've spent most of the week hanging out in front of the TV, nursing him. A couple of nights, he's actually slept pretty well, and a couple of the nights he's rivalled his sister for the fewest minutes of consecutive sleep in a night. For most of the last day and a half, he's been cluster feeding--wanting to nurse every hour to hour and a half, pretty much around the clock. At the same time, I am starting to feel fairly normal. I'm not exactly up to olympic training or anything, but coughing and sneezing no longer hurt my c-section scar, and I can carry a load of laundry up and down the stairs ok. I'm also getting closer to wearing normal clothes again--my sweats all fit ok, and my "big" jeans (ones two sizes bigger than I normally wear) basically button.

This week, we've had a visit to the pediatrician, and two visits from a home healthcare nurse. Depending on whose scale you believe, Trystan weighs somewhere from 8lbs 4oz to 8lbs 7oz. I received a box of supplies from the medical supply company that was supposed to contain the things to take care of Trystan's ostomy--the bags that cover it and collect the stool, and the assorted accessories (adhesive, skin prep pads, etc). The box arrived and contained everything except the actual bags/pouches--when I called I was told that they were special order and wouldn't be in until next week. While the rubber gloves that they sent were oh so useful (I don't generally wear gloves when changing a diaper...maybe they'll go to daycare eventually), the actual pouches were the most important things in the order, and we are running out of the ones the hospital gave us. I got to talk to the manufacturer, who is sending me a few samples by tomorrow or Monday, so hopefully that will hold us until the real order arrives. If not, the nurse told me that there's a medical supply place in town that may stock the pouches. Worse case, I can improvise with a diaper for a day.

Yesterday was the first time I left the house alone with the baby. We went to the ped's office, and then I stopped by work--my coworkers had put together a new baby present :) I had sort of forgotten how long it can take to get out of the house with a baby, with last minute nursing sessions and crying spells as I attempted to buckle him into his car seat. I am happy to report that Trystan was quiet and even slept most of the time in the car--unlike his big sister who screamed bloody murder during every car ride for the first 4 months. I think by next week I will start picking Charlotte up from daycare in the afternoons again--I'm sure her daycare workers will be thrilled to meet Trystan :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

My boy always slept in the car and the girl always cried. Maybe it's a gender thing. I'm glad everything is going well.