Monday, July 14, 2008

Reading List update

Quick reading list update:

Finished At Risk by Alison Kent. It was good. It surprised me as the entire plot was much more compact than most novels I read--the whole sequence lasted maybe a week, with 90% of the action taking place on 2 or 3 days total. But in each of her scenes, she goes into such intense detail that you don't feel cheated. You feel every breath, see every speck of dust stir in the air. I read a lot of historical romances with detailed backgrounds and clothing descriptions and politics. This was a neat change. BTW, I got my copy of this book for free in a drawing on the author's blog, a promo that will probably pay off for her in the long run: I'm now highly likely to buy more of her work (in addition to mentioning her here, for whatever that's worth). Thanks!

Second Sight by Amanda Quick. I have been a fan of hers for over 10 years. I've read most of her books under this pen name, though none of her Jayne Ann Krentz or Jayne Castle novels...maybe later. I finished the whole book in maybe 3 days. I keep seeing her newer one, The Third Circle at bookstores, but my to-read list has gotten rather bloated lately.

I just started on Eldest, sequel to Eragon. I actually started on A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber first, but switched after about 2 chapters. It's not bad, just didn't quite capture my fancy (and after Amanda Quick, I was looking for another fast-engaging story). I've never read Debbie Macomber, and might get back to it later. In the mean time, that was one of my 50cent library sale table finds, so no big loss if I don't like it...

No comments: