Saturday, January 24, 2009

New Thing #5: Crayons

Pardon the poor photo. I hate taking pictures. It doesn't help that every time I pick up the camera, someone has set it on the strangest setting combo and I don't discover the problem until I got to download the photos and see that it looks like I focused it without my contacts in. Anywho.

Today, I baked crayons. Lately, our crayon box has looked less and less like a collection of brightly colored sticks, and more and more like multi-colored mulch. Trystan has been systematically testing all of our crayons for high-speed impacts, and he has discovered that many of them have poor strucural integrity. I pulled out the worst offenders, and sorted them roughly by color. I set the oven to 200, and lined several holes in my mini-muffin pan with mini-muffin liners. Then I added chunks of crayons. I had to chop a few of the bigger ones down to fit.

They baked for a total of 40 minutes, but after 20 I added a few more crayon hunks to some cups that were looking low. Once they were cooled, I took them out of the pan, and pulled off the paper wrappers (and resisted the urge to taste them...they look suspiciously like mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, except colorful). The only thing left was to scrape a few exra bits of wax out of my muffin pan. And hand the new crayons over to the kids for a test drive

I didn't use up all our broken crayons, but it's a start. I looked on Amazon, and there are a variety of crayon molds you can buy that will save your muffin pan...The car maker looks kind of cute. I also wonder if the Wilton candy molds--the kind you use for those colored chocolates--would work for wax. Probably. Though you may want to clean them really well before eating out of them again. Maybe for next time.

1 comment:

Kathy G said...

I've done this too (but it was years ago; the "baby" is 20 years old!)

Like you, our crayon container was a mess of broken pieces. I used regular muffin tins, though, which turned out to be too big. I like your idea to use mini-muffin tines. I didn't use liners, which turned out to be a mistake. It took quite a while to get the wax residue off the tins.