Sunday, February 05, 2006

I must be the worst fantasy hockey player ever...

For a couple of years, my husband has participated in a fantasy hockey league with a bunch of friends. I always thought it sounded kind of fun, and was always a bit annoyed that I was never invited to join (amazingly enough, most of the participants are men...go figure...). So this year, I actually mentioned it to Hubby, and I got to join. It appears that the guys weren't trying to exclude women, they were just unaware that any wanted to play. Another guy's wife is also playing, though I think this is her second time.

Of course, brilliant that I am, I decide to participate in an *online* game that requires frequent attention. Apparently it's not enough to just pick players and then sit back and wait, but you actually have to pay attention to who's injured and remove them from the roster (what's the use of this being "online", then, you might ask? beats me....). Did I mention that I don't have internet access at work, except for a few "public" computers in a hallway. Yes, I develop software, but my work doesn't lend itself to public websites, so there you are. In other words, for the first time since before college, I'm not attached to the web all day every day, so getting online to update a hockey team requires time at home. And, as I've discovered, computers and toddler's don't mix, nor can *I* play on the computer while my daughter is around--she parks herself in my lap waiting impatiently for pbskids.org to fire itself up and for Elmo to start singing on my monitor.

So, my team's been "playing" with a handful of injured players for a couple of weeks, and losing horribly for it's efforts. I finally "sold" a bunch of them in exchange for names that I don't recognize but who appear to be uninjured or have better records than many of my curren t ones. Maybe I should just rename my team the St. Louis Blues and try to sell them....Ebay here I come....

No comments: