Monday, April 03, 2006

My least favorite day of the year

Some people dread their birthdays, for fear of growing older. For some it's Tax Day, for fear of growing poorer. Some hate Valentines', for the loneliness, some Christmas because they're eternal humbugs. I hate the Monday after daylight savings. The fall one isn't so bad--you get a little extra sleep over the weekend, and there's a bit more light to help you wake up for work that next day. But turning back the clocks in the spring is just torture. Just when March was coming along nicely--beautiful days, sunny spring mornings, and a reasonably light evening, then BAM. Suddenly we're expected to forgo precious sleep, and start waking up in the darkness again. And, worst of all, fix every d*mn clock in the house (and the car, and that watch you rarely wear...) or risk being late for everything for a week. Add to the mess a toddler who thrives on a consistent schedule that has nothing to do with numbers on a clock, and it just makes for a bad day. Up too late last night, too sleepy to wake up this morning, grumpy because it's a Monday anyway, and I have to deal with a surly baby as well :(

Who ever dreamed up the idea of changing clocks around to fool people into saving energy (or thinking they are) really must have had a twisted sense of humor. After all, the amount of sun vs darkness didn't magically change overnight, and if people are turning their lights out sooner after sunset, well, then, they're turning them back on again earlier than daybreak, so what's the difference?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I've been bitching about it this time every year since I moved to Texas. I have 8 am classes, to which I haven't been on time yet this week. My favorite part of the whole thing is that people really don't understand (they ARGUE with me)that the sun isn't really out longer during the day. Wow. I guess we were spoiled growing up in one of the few places in the U.S. that doesn't do this to themselves...