Monday, September 08, 2008

Less Romance, more Fiction

I finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult last night. It was the first of hers that I'd read, and I enjoyed it. My only complaint is almost a silly one: she has a witty/pithy image for everything. Everything. Sure, it adds color to the book, and makes you think a bit more. But it was just a little overdone, in my opinion. Too much of a good thing can pull you out of a story.

In other books, I finished Certain Girls a week or so ago. I also picked up a short "romantic suspense" (one of the Harlequin series ones) on the library sale table for 25cents. Actually, Trystan picked it up for me, and went running with it...I read about 30 pages and abandoned it. Alas, I frequently have that problem with their series books. I might go back and finish it at some point, but I've got a whole shelf full of other interesting stuff waiting for me also.

General Fiction - 7 I added the Picoult book here. Maybe it could fall under Women's Lit, also, but one of the main POV chars is a guy, so this looked better...
Contemporary Romance - 7 Some of these might fall under "romantic suspense"..but I"m mostly splitting Contemporary vs Historical for purposes of this list
Sci Fi/Fantasy - 5
Historical Romance - 4
Women's Lit (Chick Lit) - 3

Grand total = 26 books I think I counted that right. I always think I"m missing something, but then I go back to my posts and star worryign that I'm double-counting.

No comments: