Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life as a troglodyte

I was browsing blog posts earlier, and keep seeing the following sentiment: "You must be living under a giant rock if you don't know what's going on with the financial markets."

Why, yes, yes I am living under a giant rock, thankyouverymuch. In this rock, we limit our tv viewing to 2 "short shows" a night, and Charlotte seldom requests the evening news (only when she's used up her allotment of boob tube time and is wheedling for more). Even with the news on, it's rather difficult to pay attention over talkative preschoolers, clingy toddlers, the dishwasher, the washing machine, and something burning on the stove.

But I work! That means I must commute! Therefore, I drive, and there is news on the radio. Sure, but when the 10 minute commute contains 8.5 minutes of commercials, 30 seconds of traffic, and 30 seconds of weather, there's not much room for anything else. And honestly, if I surf 3 or 4 stations on the dial and only get commercials, I switch to a CD. And I'm not entirely sure which AM station NPR is on, but I don't think I have it programmed.

After the kids go to bed? Well, sure I could sit down on the sofa and watch the 10 o'clock news. Or I could do laundry, dishes, check email, exercise, run errands, and read a book (sometimes all of the above after 8:30pm). And I'm pretty much brain dead by 10. And I don't think my husband wants to carry my snoring body upstairs from the couch every night. No, there's no TV in our bedroom.

Don't I read blog posts and internet news sites? Honestly, if more of them would quit blinking huge multicolored banners and obnoxious popup ads, I might. I like my reading simple and non-migraine-inducing. And short, as I'm technically working (at a job that doesn't pay me to read the news).

So, I found out on Friday that there was a financial crisis, when I first heard about the $700 billion dollar bailout congress debaucle. I mean, sure, mortgage companies were having trouble, but that wasn't exactly news anymore. And wasn't there just a big hurricane in Texas? See, I don't miss everything that goes on in the world.

$700 billion worth of crisis? Wow, this rock's heavier than I thought.

1 comment:

mypetrock said...

NPR is on 90.7 FM. Few commercials and lots of relevant news.