Monday, June 30, 2008

Booklist

I have finished two more books since the last time I posted (I think).

Assasin's Quest by Robin Hobb finished the Farseer Trilogy. It was good, as the first two were. Long. But good. No more Robin Hobb for a while--I have too many books on my shelf waiting to be read, and these are just too addictive.

Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews. It's a contemporary romance where the hero/heroine are TV chefs competing for a nationwide show on "The Cooking Channel". I love the concept. I think the characters sounded a little old for their purported ages. One 22-year-old secondary character was wearing reading glasses. Really? I'm sure some do, but she was 22, not 42...the 31 year old heroine also sounded a bit more like my mom than me in a lot of places (and I have kids! That should make me feel like a geezer next to a single-gal-about-town...). Also, I wasn't as happy with the point-of-views of the book. About half was the heroine. The other half was not the hero's. (well, one or two scenes were, but that was it) It was the hero's producer, the younger sister, and in one case, a shrimp boat captain that was only around for the one scene. I think I would have like to see his side of things more often.

I'm still in the middle of At Risk by Alison Kent. It's interesting so far. A bit much of the movie-star-perfect hero meets movie-star-perfect heroine, but interesting :)

What about you? Reading anything good?

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

I just finished Anne Rice's CHRIST THE LORD: The Road to Cana. A lot of people don't know she's moved from vampire to novels to a new series.

I loved the way she wove the events of the Bible in with her story plot. It's a great novel that I would recommended to anyone, whatever their religious beliefs

HiddenChicken said...

I tend to read a lot of books in tandem.

I'm currently reading:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Hollow by Nora Roberts
Organic Gardening (can't remember the author)
Various copies of The New Yorker