Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thursday Cookbook Series -- The Betty Crocker Cookbook


Raise your hand if you DON'T own a Betty Crocker Cookbook. Really? I didn't know that was possible. You're missing something, you know.

This cookbook was the first one I acquired. I have no idea from where. Actually, it might have been my husband's cookbook first. And the photo is not representative of our book. They are constantly updating and improving it, and ours is at least 15 years old now.

My mom had a much older (probably mid-late 70's) version that we loved to pieces growing up. You could find the recipe to our family's favorite coffee cake (which might have actually been named Favorite Coffee Cake, come to think of it) just by opening the book--it was the stickiest, grittiest page in the book. Second to that was probably the chocolate chip cookie page.

My book has permanent creases on the basic white bread recipe (very yummy and no fancy ingredients--flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar), and several of the cake recipes. This is one of the first books I grab for inspiration for dinner, or for any common recipe.

No comments: