Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A week in the life...

Subtitle: Why I'm not posting much this week

Saturday
9AM Kindergarten screening for Charlotte for prospective school #1. Grandparents watch Trystan
11AM Charlotte misses swimming lessons
Eat lunch with grandparents before they go home
Kids nap
Go to Lowes to attempt to buy a new patio door. Get sent home to measure by annoying sales guy. Even though we know it’s a completely standard 72” door.

Sunday
Make two breakfasts. Trystan eats two. The rest of us eat one.
Go to church at 11
Go to lunch after church with husbands's family
After lunch, while kids nap, I go to Sam’s and Walmart for Diapers and other essentials (and score a winter coat for Trystan for next year for $13 on clearance)
After naps while I make dinner and turn on the SuperBowl for the kids, husband goes back to Lowes. Gets the same salesguy. Now finds out that the actual installer will come and measure as part of the installation process. Pays the $35 fee to get the install process started. Meanwhile, Trystan shouts “football” everytime the Superbowl trophy is shown on TV.

Monday
I take both kids to preschool, and arrive at work close to 9.
Husband gets call from installer midday and drives home to allow him to measure for the door. Surprise, surprise, its’ a standard 72” wide door.
After work, I drive straight to an evening class.
Husband picks up kids, makes a pizza. Babysitter comes over. Husband goes to weekly gaming with friends.
I get done with class early and am home shortly after 8, early enough to put both kids to bed myself.
Husband arrives home around 9:30

Tuesday
Trystan wakes up really early and totally messes up my morning routine.
Husband takes kids to daycare. I still arrive two minutes late for an 8AM meeting.
Late in the day husband gets call from Lowes saying they received the details from the installer, and that we can come officially buy the 72” door now.
Late in the day I get a a call from daycare saying that Trystan is having loose stools, and they’re concerned about stomach virus. I’m skeptical, as he regularly takes a stool softener, whose dose we sometimes have to tweak based on his diet.
I pick up kids, get dirty diaper details from preschool.
Husband has 5:30 wallyball game
I make a quick dinner for kids. And Trystan poops on the potty. A lot, and its loose (aren’t you glad to be reading this?). But it was on the potty. Did I mention he’s not even 2 yet? And that he has serious bowel complications that could potentially prevent continence? On the potty.
Husband arrives home from Wallyball at 6:45, scarfs down the few scraps of dinner that the kids left him
We all go to Lowes to pay for the 72” door. And pick out handles. And be tempted by a 50% off sale on electric fireplaces (no mantles, though, just the “firebox” part). We decide against it (though a space heater in the basement could be kind of useful)…
The kids run in circles through the door and widnow displays and are completely tuckered by the time we get home.

Wednesday
Husband takes both kids to school
I’m 4 minutes late for my 8am meeting
After work, I have another 5:30-8:30 class. And a writers group meeting from 6:30-9 with dinner afterwards.
I left my cell phone at home, so I will have to stop through between work and class.
Husband must pick up children.
And feed them.
And wait for Grandparents to arrive to watch Trystan.
And Husband and Charlotte will go to "meet the teacher night" for potential kindergarten #2.
I will hopefully get home by 10:30. Everyone will probably be asleep.

Thursday
Another 8am meeting.
Normally I have a 5:30 step class after work. It’s still debatable whether I’ll make it or not. Yes if husband is willing to drop off and pick up the kids. No if I have to pick them up.
I think that’s it.

Friday
Husband, Charlotte, and I have 10am meeting with principal of school #1. Trystan goes to daycare.
Husband goes to work afterwards.
Char and I have shopping to do for a birthday gift.
And a pie to make for the next day

Saturday
11am swim lessons. We typically all go so Trystan gets some pool time too
1pm Trystan at a minimum should be napping
3:30 Charlotte has a birthday party to attend
3:00 All 4 of us have an adult’s birthday potluck to attend.

3 comments:

BriteLady said...

I knew I forgot something. Almost as soon as I published I realized that I forgot our normal Thursday madness.

Normally, I have step from 5:30-6:30. Charlotte has tumbling from 6:30-7:10. Different sides of the municipality. See the problem?

My husband can take Trystan to tumbling, or I could (theoretically) take him to the Y and drop him in the playroom. The trouble with that is that he'll be hungry for dinner between 5:30 and 6:30 and if I have to leave work early enough to pick him up and to change clothes, then I have to get in before 8 (and we all know that doesn't happen).

Bethany said...

Good grief woman...when do you get a chance to read or write? Obviously you do both...have you given up sleeping?

BriteLady said...

Bet-

I get a chance to read and write, well, usually when i'm in the middle of something else. Like eating lunch at my desk at work. Or sitting in an HTML class that is moving a bit...slower..than I would probably prefer. 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. And outside of a couple of hurried blog posts, I haven't written anything lately (at least 2-3 weeks since I even looked at any of my fiction).

And, luckily, last week is not representative of our normal weeks. It is one of the busiest weeks over the past year or so.

And not quite done--today (Monday the 9th), the installer is putting in our new french door. I have class tonight and Wednesday. Hubby has wallyball Tuesday. Thursday's gymnastics class was canceled, so I might get to do step after all. Friday, we're talking about taking vacation days to begin work on the new laminate floor. Saturday is hubby's birthday, and I probably ought to officially invite his family over for dinner or something (kind of dicey with a potentially half-done floor, but its even harder to find a place "out" to go with a party of 10, 4 under 5yo, on Valentines Day).

I'm hoping that the rollercoaster will slow down around late March or so.