Monday, June 26, 2006

Dancing Fools

Saturday night my husband and I attended a "graduation" dinner for his sister, for completing her family practice residency. Charlotte went to a friend's house for the evening to swim and play, so we got to have a bit of an adult evening. The dinner was at Bevo Mill, which is where we had our wedding reception 5 years ago (July 7th, 2001). The place looked as nice as it did then--the inside is beautiful with dark wood panelling, beamed cathedral ceilings, a huge stone fireplace, and the round area under the actual mill is covered in tiled murals. The weather was significantly nicer than on our wedding day--we had temps of 107 for our big day, but Saturday it was a breezy 80ish degree night. The food was excellent. There were speeches by several people, and awards and gifts of appreciation for various faculty and residents--typical graduation type stuff.

They had hired a DJ to play after dinner, and had the dance floor set up in the round room under the mill. The dance floor has taken a beating in the last 5 years--sections were held in place by duct tape. The group of doctors and guests wasn't very large--I think SIL said there were about 80 people--and there weren't many inclined to dance. My SIL was one of the organizers of the dinner, so she was one of the first on the dance floor after dinner. Her husband, my husband, and I were all with her. We made up probably 75% of the entire group that danced :) Oh well, it was fun.

It's been a long time since we've had the opportunity to get on a dance floor and make fools of ourselves. My husband has pretty good rhythmn--that's one of the things that attracted me to him back in college. My brother-in-law does too. I think the 4 of us spent a lot of time dancing at the various parties in college. We were all part of a co-ed fraternity that believed strongly in the importance of fellowship :) Well, technically, BIL wasn't in the fraternity since he was already out of school, but he attended more events with SIL than some of the regular members did.

The night became a nice memory trip for me. Having dinner in Bevo, and time on the dance floor singing along to Love Shack made me feel like I was 21 again, or at least 24, or maybe even 18. My husband didn't do any back handsprings, and there were no kicklines, and we had to leave before 10 so that our babysitters could get to sleep. Nevertheless, it was a good night.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You didn't have to leave. We were up until past midnight watching King Kong anyway. Glad you had fun.

BriteLady said...

That's ok...the party was over by 10 (we left at 9:30) and we'd put on quite enough of a spectacle as it was :)