Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Nightmares

I had a bad dream last night. I dreamed that our house caught on fire. I woke myself up out of it about 5 minutes before my alarm went off, and that really didn't help my mood for the day.

I guess its no surprise that I'm dreaming of fires. Over the weekend, we went to the local fire station open house, and toured firetrucks and the station. Charlotte got to learn about dialing 9-1-1, and the kids came home with plastic hats. I got an oven mit with some slogan about preventing cooking fires.

And then, while waiting at Char's dance class last night, the lobby TV was tuned to one of the "news" stations. Several loud guys were debating just how fast our economy was heading for a depression. One of them was advocating buying non-perishable food now, so that it would be on hand when the dollar crumbles--either to eat or to exchange for other goods.

Yikes, no wonder my subconscious is freaked out about losing our home. Financially, we're fine, btw. In fact, outside of our mortgage, we have no outstanding debt. Nothing on credit cards. No student loans. No car payments. Just mortgage. And a relatively safe, secure one at that (we were never one of the high-risk, 0% down ones, and we're 8 years into payments...)

In any case, I put my passport (which had been floating around the top of my desk--I don't know why) and a few backup cds into our firesafe this morning and locked it shut.

No comments: